en

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Calpundit: Word Quiz
What common four-letter word has made the most meteoric rise in linguistic history? Hint: among Canadian (and probably American) 16-year-olds, it now accounts for one of every 20 spoken words...
The answer should be obvious. I actually don't know how I feel about it or what to think of it, to be honest. What gives?

The refreshing thing about working with Czechs... I now work on a daily basis with a woman in her mid-20s who, no joke, punctuates every sentence with a jako or a prostě or several of each (which transliterate as "like" and "just"). Mind you, this includes sentences otherwise spoken in English, as in "I think we should create a new cash flow worksheet, prostì, so we can, jako, keep track of the stocks."

Reminds me of my favorite Czech phrase: Tak žé teda takle, jo? Which means....

Anybody?