en

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Muchos apologies for such light blogging. I don't really have a very clear excuse, although I might mention that my allegies have been acting up like nobody's business. I also think I'm trying to, one might say, figure some stuff out. Aren't we all.

I just finished two excellent books: Eastward to Tartary by Robert Kaplan and The Battle for God by Karen Armstrong. I'm thinking of submitting one of those reader reviews to Amazon.

Anyway, in seeking wisdom, I've turned once again to Scripture. Now I'm making my way through the Book of Proverbs. I'll share one with you:

"The clever do all things intelligently, but the fool displays folly."

That's how my Bible translates Proverbs 13:16. Proverbs is filled with these types of circular, axiomatic statements. Sort of no-shit-Sherlock territory, don't you think?

Yet here's the King James Version of the same line:

"Every prudent man dealeth with knowledge: but a fool layeth open his folly."

If I had a life of pure leisure, I'd learn ancient Hebrew to figure out what it really says.

*

Last night I went to see David Bowie at T-Mobile arena in Prague. Here's what happened: He played a bunch of old songs that I knew -- starting with pared-down "Life on Mars," followed by "Rebel Rebel," with some newer songs and a Pixies cover mixed in -- until he starting complaining about a pinched nerve. He took a ten-minute break, then came back for two songs, and just after "The Man Who Sold They World," he said, "I'm sorry, I can't continue," and left the stage. Show over. David Bowie, it's worth mentioning, is the same age as my mom. Always has been, always will be. (Likewise for myself and Drew Barrymore.)

A friend who was backstage say he may have even had a small heart attack, but in the news reports, his publicist says it was nothing serious. Poor Bowie has suffered a serious of mishaps. On Friday he was hit in the eye by a flying Norwegian lollipop. In May, a technician at a show in Miami fell to his death just before Bowie went on stage. And in March, his famous Bowie Bonds were downgraded by Moody's to just above "junk" status.

He's still David Bowie. Can't really touch that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home