en

Friday, June 09, 2006

Bishop's right in the comment to the post below: I'm quite into "The Blues Are Still Blue." I dare say as of today it's my new favorite song. I can't remember the last time a song made me want to gyrate my hips in the driver's seat, but maybe that's because I haven't driven much in the last 10 years. And even though the temp's edging towards 50 Celsius, the track may actually have convinced me to buy a convertible. (It's not totally an impulse thing. I have to buy a car anyway, as I'm not allowed to use the company wheels forever.)

I'm going to the Cannes advertising festival a week from tonight. I'll be there for a whole week. I haven't been to the south of France since September 2000, a fantastical little holiday I took with a woman with whom I had remarkably little in common. She was into horoscopes and Wicca. We don't really keep in touch.

But hey, don't get the wrong idea! Life's not all about convertibles, clear skies, sunny days and French resort towns. No, no, no, no, no. After all, I'm here alone in the office on a Friday, which totally sucks (Friday being a weekend here in the supposedly Muslim world), I have no social life (I'm new in town and have no close friends although there's a tentative squash arrangement tomorrow followed by a tango lesson) -- and worst of all, the acupuncturist told me I can't drink booze. The latter makes it difficult to keep my mind off the dreadful and hopeless aspects of life. But anyway, that song totally rocks! And I'm getting a convertible! And by jove, I'm gonna finish that novel!

Dude!!! It's the video. OK, the video doesn't quite match my initial feelings about the song. It's a bit more, shall we say, on the low-budget Scottish hipster side as opposed to me driving around a half-built desert metropolis in my new convertible, wayfarers on baby. I hope you can make the necessary mental adjustments.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Unrelated: CNN (I think it was) had a program today about hotel building in Dubai and the feeding frenzy among companies competing to supply them. Dubai is now proud of spending more per capita on hotels than anywhere including Las Vegas.

What about some posts on food and restaurants?

1:21 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I try not to spend my whole salary on restaurants so actually I don't eat out much, but the fare is generally of a high Western standard. The most interesting thing food-wise is the cheap and strange veggies available in the markets (and supermarkets). Like there's this thing called girgir which is basically a form of arugula, but much stronger, with a hint perhaps of horseradish. And it's cheaper than the dirt it grows in.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nike factory outlet
nike air max
pandora jewelry
moncler jackets
nike requin
adidas nmd runner
red bottom shoes
moncler outlet
polo ralph lauren
longchamp handbags
etewt0822

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home