en

Thursday, November 20, 2003

"Once open, the debate is surprisingly winnable." So says William Saletan on Slate about the forthcoming gay marriage controversy.

And here's what my mom, a lifelong Republican from Massachusetts, has to say about the matter:

I'm torn about gay marriage. I certainly think gay couples should be able to get health insurance for one another. And in order to do that, there has to be some deciding point, as to when it's going to be a lasting relationship, in order to define when the benefits would start. They can't just move in together and say "ok, now I get his/her benefits." I'm even thinking probably the married filing joint tax benefits should be appropriate. So the only thing really against it is the "feeling" that it just isn't "natural."
If I'd asked her the question ten years ago, I doubt the conversation would have moved past the "feeling" part.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home